Friday, June 13, 2014

X-men Supreme Reflections: Wanda Maximoff is LIVE!


I've faced a lot of challenging tasks in developing the X-men Supreme fanfiction series. That's to be expected for any reimagining of a mythos as vast and as expansive as X-men. But this latest round of X-men Supreme Reflections has posed a special kind of challenge. I didn't just have to explore characters like Psylocke and Colossus, who only recently joined the X-men during the events of X-men Supreme Volume 4: Politics of Fear. I had to explore one of my OCs, General Nathan Grimshaw, in a way that made him compelling in a world where he has no equivilent in the current Marvel comics. These characters had considerably different circumstances compared to other reflections I've done. It's part of my ongoing effort to make X-men Supreme more distinct. However, I've saved the most challenging for last.

Few characters have had more upheavals in the comics recently than Wanda Maximoff. When I started X-men Supreme, she was still guilty of inflicting mass genocide on the mutant race through the events of House of M. Being Magneto's daughter is hard enough. Being guilty of crimes that have determined the course of the X-men comics for nearly a decade is even harder. It has been a long time since the Scarlet Witch was more than just a criminal or an Avenger. At one point, she was just Magneto's estranged daughter. But as egregious her crimes might be, I've alawys had a soft spot for the Scarlet Witch. I think she embodies Magneto's ideals better than Magneto himself. Like her father, she seeks to protect the mutant race and ensure their survival. But unlike her father, she is willing to fight for both peace and war when necessary.

X-men Supreme Volume 4: Politics of Fear put the Scarlet Witch in some impossible situations. After the events of Overlord, she gladly stepped down from her leadership position and let her father take control over Genosha. But as ruler of Genosha, Magneto only ended up raging war again by attempting to use the power of the Cambrian. He ended up nearly destroying humans and mutants alike, becoming mentally unstable in the process. Now the Scarlet Witch once again has to assume leadership of Genosha. She managed to negotiate a fragile peace with the rest of the world after her father fled, but it's a fragile peace at best. So what does this mean for Wanda Maximoff and her future? What is driving her to do what she's doing? That is what has made this by far the most challenging entry of Supreme Reflections to date, but I believe I succeeded in capturing all the right moments for the character.

X-men Supreme Reflections: Wanda Maximoff

This insallment of X-men Supreme Reflections is now officially done. There were a lot of raw emotions exposed towards the end of X-men Supreme Volume 4: Politics of Fear. Expect many more emotions to follow as this fanfiction series enters its fifth volume. As I've said before, I have every intention of completing X-men Supreme Volume 5 and the entry of X-men Supreme Reflections that will follow it. However, I have not yet decided whether I will continue this fanfiction series after. If I do, I might end up making these updates monthly rather than biweekly. That depends largely on the amount of time I have and the level of feedback I get. Feedback has been inconsistent at times, but I am always open to it. Some have gone out of their way to converse with me and for those wonderful readers, I thank you and hope others follow your example. If ever anyone has any feedback on this issue or on X-men Supreme as a whole, please post it directly in the issue or feel free to contact me at any time. Until next time, take care and best wishes. Excelsior!

Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment