Friday, July 31, 2015

X-men Supreme Reflections Volume 5 Announcement and PREVIEW!


It’s official now. The X-men Supreme fanfiction series will continue. The response I got from the conclusion of X-men Supreme Volume 5: Dark Truths was overwhelmingly positive. A lot of readers came out and let me know how much they had been enjoying this fanfiction series. Those who had been following X-men Supreme but never reviewed it finally took the time to let me know how much they’ve enjoyed this world I’ve crafted. To those people, I can’t thank you enough. Such support has helped inspire me to keep making X-men Supreme better. I know I left this fanfiction series in a vulnerable state. A lot of that had to do with me making it so I could end the series there if I decided. But that’s not happening. There’s still plenty of story to tell in the world of X-men Supreme.

As I’ve done with previous volumes of this fanfiction series, I’m going to do another entry of the Supreme Reflections mini-series before launching Volume 6. There were a lot of dramatic developments in X-men Supreme Volume 5: Dark Truths that affected a lot of characters. But there were some characters that were more affected than others. For all of its 50-year history, X-men has succeed on the strength of its characters. But as over a 100 issues of this fanfiction series has shown me, it’s hard to find time to develop all of them. So a mini-series like Supreme Reflections gives me some time to focus on these characters in a way I couldn’t during the main story.

And the first character I’ll be focusing on is a character that you won’t get to explore anywhere outside of X-men Supreme. Of course, I’m talking about Captain Jack Freeman. He’s one of the handful of original characters I’ve crafted for this fanfiction series. I knew from the beginning of X-men Supreme that I would be making a few characters to call my own, but I understand that the appeal of X-men Supreme would be the more established characters. That’s why I waited so long until X-men Supreme Issue 75: Renegade to introduce him. I don’t expect him to be anyone’s favorite, but I wanted him and General Nathan Grimshaw to act as a catalyst in this fanfiction series. They won’t dominate the plot, as a lot of OCs tend to do in fanfiction. But they will be part of the struggle.

For Captain Freeman, that struggle has taken on dimensions his training as a Green Beret never prepared him for. He hasn’t exactly been on the same page as the X-men or General Grimshaw at times. He’s very much a character who is uncertain of his place in the human/mutant conflict. He wants to be a soldier first and a mutant second, but that’s not always possible. He represents the part of the mutant population who doesn’t want to be defined by his mutant status. But at the same time, he struggles to avoid it. He admits he’s not very smart and he is prone to making the wrong decisions. And yes, he will have a major role in X-men Supreme Volume 6.

But who is Jack Freeman? Where did he come from and how did he get to be like this? I haven’t had a chance to really dig deeply into his world. That’s what I’ll be doing with the first entry of X-men Supreme Reflections Volume 5. This story will give readers a better understanding of who Jack Freeman is and why he’s struggles the way he does. His story is one that’s going to have some major implications later on in this fanfiction series so you won’t want to miss this. As always, I’ve prepared a preview that should offer some insight into a character that you can only find in the X-men Supreme fanfiction series.

In some ways I think I was worse than Magneto. At least Magneto was motivated by his powers. To me, they were just a tool. After I moved out of my mom’s place, I started selling weed full time. I actually used some of her contacts to beef up my business. I set myself apart by coming off as tough and resilient. I would demonstrate my powers to prospective customers, letting them know that if they bought from me they were buying from someone who could adapt. It was a good selling point. I made a pretty decent living because of it. By decent I mean I made enough to ride around in a beat up truck, stay in cheap apartments when I needed to, and have money left over to have fun. Because of my powers, I could be as irresponsible as I wanted.

What often happens to drug dealers and street punks is they get a nasty dose of reality at some point. Someone beats them up, someone shoots them, or someone finds a way to hurt them. I was pretty much immune from that. One time this guy tried to stab me and take my weed. He was pretty shocked when his knife bounced right off my chest. This one other time three guys came at me with baseball bats. They might as well have been hitting me with pillows. I laughed at them before I kicked their asses and took their weed.

It began another trend. With my powers I wasn’t just a degenerate. I was a degenerate that could fight. I pretty much taught myself to fight so I could deal with the competition. My powers ensured that nobody could measure up. I pretty much had the market cornered in my area. I had a steady stream of customers and income. Being a tough guy earned me some respect despite my lousy social skills. It even earned me my share of girls. It’s amazing what a couple of college girls will do for a few bags of weed.

It was a stoner’s paradise. I worked only a few hours a day, I had money in my pocket, and I was both feared and respected. Yet at the same time, I was miserable as hell. I hated myself. I hated my life. I felt like a loser. Hell, I was a loser. I never had anyone come along to give me a good kick in the ass. That all changed when I met up with a grizzly old Vietnam vet named Major Lenny Romita.


Once again, I’d like to thank everybody for their support of this fanfiction series. I still have some big ideas I want to explore moving forward. Once this entry of X-men Supreme Reflections has concluded, I’ll make some announcements on X-men Supreme Volume 6 and its release schedule. Like I said before, it may be different this time. But no matter how it comes out, I’m going to try and make it as awesome as possible. And part of that process involves getting feedback from readers. So please take the time to continue providing feedback for this fanfiction series. Either contact me directly or post it in each individual issue. Either way is fine. Until next time, take care and best wishes. Excelsior!

Jack

2 comments:

  1. I can't access your website?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was working fine when I tried it earlier. Are you getting an error? Please let me know so I can look into it.

      Delete