Friday, June 22, 2018

X-men Supreme Issue 170: High Evolution Part 2 is LIVE!


Another monumental upheaval has descended upon the world of X-men Supreme. Magneto is back and he has the High Evolutionary as an ally. Charles Xavier and his X-men are still more divided than they’ve ever been. Every now and then, this fanfiction series undergoes some dramatic changes. I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say that the High Evolution arc will bring the biggest changes to date.

It’s the culmination of a story I set out to tell after the events of X-men Supreme Issue 148: New Divide. I knew at the time that I was taking a chance. If you’ve been following the X-men comics, then you understand why my timing couldn’t have been worse. Just as the X-men are coming together again in the comics, I throw a huge schism into the mix within this fanfiction series. I would even argue it’s a bigger schism than the one Cyclops and Wolverine had in the comics. By making it between Cyclops and Charles Xavier, the emotions are that much higher and the choices are that much harder.

The division has caused so much tension and strain throughout X-men Supreme Volume 7: United and Divided. It’s not just between Cyclops and Professor Xavier either. Jean Grey has to deal with her former lover opposing the X-men. Rogue has to deal with Nightcrawler and Mystique being on another team. Then, there’s the Scarlet Witch’s unexpected role. To say there has been plenty of tension would be a gross understatement.

It’s been building steadily through arcs like Drug War and Crimes Against Inhumanity. With every triumph and failure, the strain between the X-men and X-Force grows. Cyclops is feeling it. Charles Xavier is feeling it. President Kelly and General Grimshaw are feeling it too and they’re margin for error has effectively vanished. In other words, Magneto couldn’t have picked a better time to return to the world of X-men Supreme.

He returns to a world that is beleaguered and broken, especially after the events of Crimes Against Inhumanity. Nobody feels safe anymore. Humans and mutants alike are tired of all the conflict. Anyone offering a better way is bound to get attention and Magneto has shown many times before that he’s not afraid to make a statement. The High Evolution arc began with him announcing to the world his plans for Asteroid M. The impact of that announcement is just starting to unfold.

Beyond just acting as a culmination of X-men Supreme Volume 7: United and Divided, High Evolution is also Magneto’s ultimate endgame. He’s had a vision in place since X-men Supreme Volume 1: Mutant Revolution. Despite all the failures and mishaps along the way, from Uprising to the Cambrian Explosion, Magneto has never waned in his vision. He’s going to see it through this time. Humans and mutants alike are going to feel it and that begins in this issue.

X-men Supreme Issue 170: High Evolution Part 2

This is probably the most excited I’ve been about an arc I did my own version of the Phoenix Saga back during X-men Supreme Volume 3: Ashes of Hope. Building this fanfiction series in a way that allows me to tell stories on this scale gives me an opportunity to tell an X-men story that has a special impact. It’s not enough to just pit the X-men against Magneto again. It has to have real dramatic stakes and that’s what I’m hoping to achieve with High Evolution.

For those who have been following this fanfiction series, I hope you’ve enjoyed the long and arduous process of pursuing that goal. I’ve every intention of making this arc the best to date for X-men Supreme. As always, I urge everyone to provide feedback on this and every other aspect of this fanfiction series. Either post your comments directly in the issue or contact me directly. Either way is fine as long as you review. I’m always happy to chat X-men. Until next time, take care and best wishes. Xcelsior!

Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment