Friday, February 14, 2014

X-men Supreme Issue 94: Madness and Madmen is LIVE!


Throughout the history of X-men, there have been many characters of questionable mental stability. And capturing that lack of mental stability has been one of the many challenges I’ve had in developing the X-men Supreme fanfiction series. I’ve noticed that all too often a story will focus only on the extremes and not the development in between. That’s why I’ve tried to take my time in X-men Supreme to show why a character becomes unstable. The circumstances throughout X-men Supreme Volume 4: Politics of Fear has been stressful to say the least. It was only a matter of time before it got to somebody and with only a few issues left, Magneto will be the first to reach his breaking point.

Since this fanfiction series began, Magneto has been a driving force for many of the conflicts in X-men Supreme. He was the one that led the uprising on Genosha. He was the one that tried to wipe out all of humanity with an asteroid. And he was the one that unleashed the Cambrian on the whole world. But part of what makes Magneto such a compelling character in the mythos of X-men is that he’s not evil per se. He is a product of some pretty terrible experiences. He saw the very worst of humanity because of that, he has little regard or compassion for the human race. I’ve tried to capture that in X-men Supreme, but I also want to build on the effects that his actions have had on him. And after the events of the Cambrian, Magneto has been pushed over the edge.

At the end of the Cambrian Explosion arc, Magneto lost his connection with this ancient creature. This loss traumatized his mind and rendered him incapable of being the leader that Genosha needs. Since his failure, he has been in seclusion on Genosha while the X-men and Brotherhood attempt to clean up the mess he made. But while in seclusion, Magneto has been plotting and planning. And with the effects of the Cambrian, he is now more dangerous than ever. That danger is the spark that will lead to the ultimate conclusion of X-men Supreme Volume 4: Politics of Fear. The countdown begins in this issue and it’s only going to get more volatile until the final resolution.

X-men Supreme Issue 94: Madness and Madmen

It feels like I’ve gone in many different directions with X-men Supreme Volume 4: Politics of Fear. I imagine it’s hard for some to keep up with. That’s a by-product of having a fanfiction series this big. I imagine Marvel deals with the same issue in developing their comics. But unlike Marvel, I don’t have as many indicators to know that I’m developing X-men Supreme right. So I ask everyone who reads this fanfiction series to provide feedback. Either post it directly in the issue or contact me directly. I’m always happy to chat. Feedback has been flat or declining lately and I want to do everything I can to increase it. Until next time, take care and best wishes. Excelsior!

Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment