Friday, October 28, 2011

X-men Supreme: Supreme Reflections - Jean Grey PREVIEW

It's a time of transition for the X-men Supreme fanfiction series. Writing Supreme Reflections is very different compared to writing the actual X-men Supreme story. However, it's rewarding in a very unique way. I love the X-men and I love the characters that Marvel has created. They are rich and engaging in ways that go beyond comics. So writing these issues where I get to dig a little deeper into what makes these characters tick is trilling. I enjoyed how Cyclops's reflection turned out, but I'll have a much greater challenge with Jean Grey. She's a character that divides many fans. Whether you love her or hate her, it's hard to understate her impact on the X-men and on Marvel comics. I've been anxiously awaiting her entry into Supreme Reflections. I hope her addition in this fanfiction series will be accepted by her many fans. I'll work extra hard on this one. I've already prepared a brief preview of what you can expect with this important entry for X-men Supreme.


A cold shiver ran down Jean’s spine. She had to wipe away some of the tears forming in her eyes. Even after all these years these memories caused her so much pain. She didn’t just recall the sights and sounds of that terrible moment. She recalled the feelings as well and in many ways they were far worse.

When I opened my eyes the first thing I saw was Sara looking at me with vacant eyes. She had been crushed so fast it she died almost instantly. Even if she hadn’t, her injuries were pretty gruesome. I’ll never get that image of blood, bone, and skin being warped beyond all recognition.


The sight of my dead sister was bad enough. When I called out for my parents, I found out they were in bad shape too. They were both alive, but out cold. My father’s head was slammed against the side door and his right arm was broken in three places. My mother was even worse. Her side of the car was a twisted jungle of metal and class. They crushed her arm, her leg, three ribs, and a few bones in her back. I was the only one left conscious and to this day I wish I wasn’t. Because in that moment, I was completely overwhelmed. All these emotions came over me. I felt sorrow, fear, despair, grief…pretty much every terrible feeling you would expect of a tragedy. Every aspect of that incident was etched onto my soul. To this day the horrors of that night are still with me. But that were just the beginning of a classic Grey family downward spiral.


Everything soon became a blur. I don’t even remember the paramedics arriving or the trip to the hospital. I just remember crying and sobbing to myself, trying to take control again. Usually Sara was the one who helped calm me down. Now she was gone and I would have to cope with this on my own. The doctors later said she never stood a chance. Her neck had been crushed and if that didn’t kill her than the blood loss sure did. As hard as it was for me to wrap my head around at the tender age of eight, my mom and dad struggled in their own right and not very well I might add.


My father was somewhat lucky if you can call it that. He only suffered a concussion and a broken arm. He was going to make a full recovery physically. Then when the doctors told him about Sara, it became clear that he would never fully recover. I was in the room with him. I saw his reaction. He didn’t break down crying or lash out. His face just became this beacon of sorrow. I honestly don’t think he knew how to react. I think he tried to convince himself that this wasn’t happening. As if that news hadn’t been hard enough, he was hit with another shocker about my mom.


Unlike Sara, she survived. Unlike me and my father, she would not make a full recovery. In addition to the broken bones and bruising, the crash did serious damage to her lower back. It left her paralyzed from the chest down. She was never going to walk again. Not only that, there were a few blood clots during surgery. That meant she was going to be in chronic pain as well. I remember when I first saw her I practically froze. My father had to turn away. I think he would have thrown up if he could. When my mom eventually came too, she looked totally defeated. It was as if somebody reached inside and ripped her soul right out of her.


Our lives were never going to be the same. My parents’ worst fears had come to life. Their fragile world had been shattered. Now they were going to have to be strong and adapt to these grim circumstances. All was not lost. We had the opportunities and the means to move forward without giving into despair. I didn’t want to give into this sorrow. I didn’t want this to be the end. Unfortunately, my parents didn’t feel the same way.


I hope to speed things up with Supreme Reflections. If possible, I'm going to try and update sooner than my usual biweekly schedule. I'm not sure if I'll be able to because fanfiction of this scale is quite time consuming. However, I will do my best to ensure that my fine readers have something to look forward to! Stay tuned to this website and the blog for updates. If there is a change, I will announce it before I follow through. All the support I've received thus far has certainly helped. I hope more comes as I develop this fanfiction series. If you have questions or comments, please contact me at any time. Until next time, take care and best wishes!

Jack

4 comments:

  1. i love your take on jean grey i'm a die hard xfan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I know Jean Grey has some serious fans. I hope to do them justice with X-men Supreme. We all know Marvel isn't going to use her anytime soon. So I have to pick up the slack with X-men Supreme. I have HUGE plans for Jean Grey that don't involve killing her and teasing her return. lol So I hope you enjoy it and if you want to submit fanart, my door is always open!

    Regards,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only is Jean my favourite Marvel character but is one of my faovurite characters from any medium.

    I am actually very intriged from Jean's story here and I'm looking forward to what's to come. And I'm happy that you don't plan to have her die any time soon haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I'm glad you're intrigued. I know Jean Grey has been maligned in pretty much every other medium. That's why I'm being extra careful here with Jean Grey. She's very special to Marvel fans and I want to do her justice. Her background is different here and you'll see just how much so in this issue. Then in Volume 3, Jean Grey takes center stage in a huge way! You'll see! Thanks again.

    Jack

    ReplyDelete