Friday, June 14, 2013

X-men Supreme Issue #77 PREVIEW!


The first shot has been fired in a battle that marks a pivotal turning point for the X-men Supreme fanfiction series. Two new players have entered the human/mutant conflict. General Nathan Grimshaw has entered the world of X-men Supreme and so has his trusted soldier, Jack Freeman. He made a bold and dagnerous move, sending Captain Freeman to Genosha on a covert mission to steal Magneto's helmet. He succeeded, roughing up Magneto's Brotherhood of Mutants in the process. Having made his presence known, he now has the attention and potentially more from President Kelly. This bold move is poised to have serious consequences and these consequences will be a big part of the events of X-men Supreme Volume 4: Politics of Fear.

Now this fanfiction series enters a new phase as General Grimshaw and Captain Freeman continue to spread their influence throughout the world of X-men Supreme. The events on Genosha were detected by the X-men during Captain Freeman's infiltration. Charles Xavier and his X-men know something is up and they're about to learn what they're up against, just like Magneto. I said from the beginning that my two original characters were going to play a big part in the events of the X-men Supreme fanfiction series. The extent of their role will continue to unfold in the next issue. As usual, I've prepared an extended preview of the conflicts you can expect.

“What the…who in God’s name are you?!” he demanded.

“Nice office you got here. Do all President Kelly’s holy men get such cozy accommodations?” said a shadowy figure sitting in his chair and facing away while he rummaged through his files.

“If you’re not going to identify yourself then I’m calling security!” Stryker threatened.

“Oh you don’t want to do that, Reverend. Not until you hear what I have to offer.”

The man turned around in his chair to greet the bewildered Reverend. He was in a high ranking military uniform, bearing emblems similar to the ones General Grimshaw wore. He didn’t have as many metals or distinctions, but he had the same stern military demeanor.

“Oh great, another General,” muttered Stryker.

“Actually, I’m a Colonel,” he told him, “Colonel John Wraith, United States Armed Forces. I used to go by General, but I was recently demoted.”

“If you’re trying to win sympathy, you’re not going to get it!”

“Funny, I thought men of God were supposed to be compassionate,” quipped Wraith, “Did I mention that the man who demoted me was General Grimshaw? Does that help my soul?”

Stryker tensed upon hearing that name. At the same time it quickly turned his outrage into curiosity. Suddenly, this man didn’t seem unworthy of sympathy.

“I hope you’re not just here to share mutual outrage. I’ve had enough bad news for one day,” said Stryker in a calmer tone.

“Then this should cheer you up,” said Wraith with an ominous grin, “I understand you’ve had it pretty rough since the inauguration. President Kelly has marginalized your influence and now someone with much more clout has come in to muscle you out.”

“You’re telling me things I already know, Colonel. Take a page from the Good Book and give me a revelation!” demanded Stryker.

“How’s this…right now, we’re in administrative purgatory if you’ll pardon the spiritual puns. Nathan Grimshaw is a tough act to compete with. He’s got a lot of connections and they like him better than they’ll ever like us. So if we’re going to get anything done, we need to pool our resources.”

“I don’t even know you. Why would I bother helping you?”

“Because we both want the same thing,” said Wraith strongly, “You see mutants as a scourge. I see mutants as a threat that needs to be eliminated. I used to have a means to do so, but thanks to some bumbling on the part of a few foolish scientists I’ve lost that. And If I’m going to get it back, I’ll need help.”

Stryker studied this man carefully. After the way President Kelly shut him out he was suspicious of anybody claiming to support his cause. This man didn’t come off as some ambitious bureaucrat. He looked like someone with the cunning and backbone to do what was necessary. The Lord didn’t always answer his prayers in the way he expected. Even if this wasn’t a divine sign, then he would be foolish not to pursue it.

“What do you need from me?”

“Just the services of your Purifiers,” grinned Colonel Wraith, “My lower rank leaves me without much of an army to command. But you have the necessary manpower. I’ll need that if I’m to get what I need out of Japan.”

“Japan?” said Stryker curiously, “What in God’s name are you trying to get back?

Colonel Wraith’s grin widened as he casually put his arm around the reverend’s shoulder and led him out of his office. He could tell this man was jaded after what had been going on lately. Getting caught up in General Nathan Grimshaw’s affairs certainly rubed salt in the wound. Stryker was a man dedicated to his cause and at this point in his failing military career he’s just what he needed to forge the ultimate weapon against mutants.

“It’s a long story, Reverend. Walk with me. I’ll fill you in on all the gritty details. I think you especially will appreciate what I have planned.”


I also have another quick update to the pics section. I know I've been putting extra time into expanding the X-ladies section, but this time the update involves a very generous piece of artwork submitted by a very generous reader named warfolomei. Warfolomei was nice enough to both review every issue of X-men Supreme on Fanfiction.net and take the time to coordinate with others and submit a wonderful piece that I have included in the pics section. Thank you, warfolomei and all those who helped him! You've helped make the X-men Supreme fanfiction series more awesome!

X-men Supreme Official Panels

So far I haven't gotten much feedback on the introduction of Captain Freeman and General Grimshaw. Of that limited feedback, the sentiment has been largely positive. But I know I'll need more insight if I'm going to make these two characters successful contributers to the X-men Supreme fanfiction series. Using original characters is always risky. Since these two characters are so new, there is much about them that I want to explore. I'm already hard at work preparing a bio entry for both of them. I'll post it in the coming weeks. Until then, please tell me what you think of these two new participants in the X-men Supreme fanfiction series! Feel free to contact me at any time with comments or questions. Until then, take care and best wishes! Excelsior!

Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment